Share this page:
Greenpeace and Rainforest Action Network have each produced research and analysis of news and other developments impacting coal investment.
Greenpeace has been closely monitoring developments in local coal industries in both coal-producing and coal-consuming countries since 2012, and produced a bi-monthly market update to which you can suscribe on this page :
- Coal Market Update December 2014 : Spinning off risky coal assets increasing in momentum
- Coal Market Update September 2014 : Uncertain Markets as Corruption Stories Break Around the World
- Coal Market Update July 2014 : Supply glut continues to weigh on prices
- Coal Market Update March 2014 : Another chapter of Beijing air pollution saga; coal protests continue in India and Australia
- Coal Market Update November 2013 : Britain and UN weigh in on coal debate in Warsaw
- Coal Market Update September 2013 : Governments and international financial institutions waking up to the dangers of coal investments
- Coal Market Update July 2013 : Low prices take their toll on coal firms
- Coal Market Update May 2013 : Coal market continues to underperform
- Coal Market Update March 2013 : No signs of a coal rebound in 2013
- Coal Market Update December 2012 : What does Doha mean for the future of coal?
- Coal Market Update October 2012 : Where will the water come from?
- Coal Market Update July 2012 : Volatile thermal coal prices and environmental risks make export projects unattractive
- Coal Market Update May 2012 : Growing uncertainty for medium term coal export market: Are assumptions behind coal export projects sound?
Rainforest Action Network started in 2013 a new series of research updates on the environmental and social risks involved with investment in the coal industry. These updates highlight emerging risks facing companies involved with coal extraction, processing, or combustion :
- Coal Risk Update July 2013 : Dump Now, Pay Later: Coal Ash Disposal Risks Facing U.S. Electric Power Producers
- Coal Risk Update February 2013 : Selenium Risk at Alpha Natural Resources's Mountaintop Removal Mines: Insight from the Patriot Coal Bankruptcy and Regulatory Monitoring Data
- Coal Risk Update March 2013 : Arch Coal, the Blair Mountain Battlefield, and Bank Human Rights Commitments