Becky Tarbotton, Rainforest Action Network, United States
These new emissions would negate 70% of the UK government’s Kyoto Protocol reduction commitment, or 90% of Japan's Kyoto Protocol reduction commitment. In fact, these new emissions would have the same effect on the climate as doubling the total GHG emissions of certain countries, including those of Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Ireland or New Zealand.
Additional health, social and environmental impacts from these plants are associated with coal mining and transportation as well as other dangerous emissions that come from coal combustion. Those include mercury, sulphur dioxide and nitrous oxides.
Power plant financing is on a plant by plant basis, with most in advisory/pre-financing status. Proposed Dynegy-LS Power coal-fired power plants are reported to include:
- "White Pine" 500-1600 MW coal-fired plant in White Pine County, Nevada
- "Elk Run" 750 MW coal-fired plant in eastern Iowa
- "Elk Run" 1600 MW coal-fired plant in Sussex County, Virginia
- "Sandy Creek" 800 MW coal-fired plant in Riesel, Texas
- "Marion City" 1100 MW coal fired plant in Marion City, South Carolina
- "Plum Point" 665 MW coal-fired plant in Osceola, Arkansas
- "Long Leaf" (2) 600 MW coal-fired plants in Early country, Georgia
- "Baldwin" (2) 650 MW coal-fired plants in Baldwin, Illinois
By 2009, both White Pine and Elk Run coal plants have been canceled.
The following companies are involved in Dynegy coal power plants: