NIBC was founded in 1945, originally called the ‘Maatschappij tot Financiering van Nationaal Herstel' by the Dutch government along with a number of commercial banks and institutional investors. It was set up to provide financing for the post-World War II economic recovery of the Netherlands. This entity was renamed De Nationale Investeringsbank (DNIB) in 1971 and was listed on the Dutch stock exchange, now Euronext Amsterdam, from 1986 to 1999.
In 1999, two of Europe's largest pension funds, ABP and PGGM, made a public offer for the shares of DNIB through a new joint venture, named NIB Capital N.V. (NIB Capital). They acquired a 85 percent stake, leaving the Dutch government with a minority interest of 15 percent. NIB Capital acquired these remaining shares from the Dutch state in May 2004.
At the end of 2015 NIBC controlled assets worth EUR9.914 billion.
In December 2005, a consortium of international financial institutions and investors purchased all the outstanding equity interests of NIB Capital. In connection with this acquisition, NIBC Holding N.V. was formed and NIB Capital became its wholly-owned subsidiary. The name changed from NIB Capital to NIBC.